Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Point and Shoot Journaling

I have been taking LK Ludwig's Point and Shoot Journaling classes online, I wrote about my first assignments on Oct. 13, and didn't do any more than print out photos after that until I went to the second art journaling retreat. I had created a simple journal with heavy watercolor paper pages, and painted them ready to go.

I worked with my photos and this journal most of the time. Below is my first attempt doing a technique involving tissue paper and matte medium and colored pencils. I found this technique quite addicting, and very fun. I don't want to describe the technique too much, as it is part of LK's class.
This photo is part of the journey series. I used white china marker on in. It is printed on a cool matte photo paper, which I LOVE. Journaling done with a white inkssentials pen, which is my new favorite white pen. It wrote easily over the rough surface of the watercolor paper, and on the glossy surface of several photos, too. They can be found at Michael's in the scrapbook section, with Ranger supplies. I give you that little hint, because I had to go twice to find it, the staff don't know what they have or don't have!Below is a self-portrait, done again with the colored pencil technique. I really love it. The journaling says it is the only self portrait I have ever taken that I even half-way liked.
Blogger is giving me fits today, and everything is out of order. Above is the cover of my point and shoot journal. I did this at the retreat, and I really like it. I have a huge thing for black and white and red...

Another "journey" photo. I also quite like taking photos in the side-view mirror!
LK is doing this class on a month-to-month basis, and I took November's class, also. She is doing it again for December, and adding another class about making background pages for art journals starting in the middle of December and running for 6 weeks. All the information is on her blog, click on the link a few paragraphs above and check it out. I have really enjoyed the classes so far, and there are new assignments and techniques every month.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Hi Gwen. Just discovered your blog. Sounds like the combination of online and in-person classes are stirring up creative ideas. I was curious about L.K. Ludwig’s (since I love her books) and am glad you recommend it. I especially like your rear view mirror journal entry and can relate to your commuting situation; thanks for reminding me about bringing a camera along to amuse ourselves rather than to get frustrated on those slow traffic days!

Paula McNamee said...

Hi Gwen, I like your journal pages, especially the portraits and the view from the car sideview mirror. You're very creative in using your photos in your journals. I want to hear about part II of LK's online class.

Jill Holmes said...

Gwen! Glad to see you posting again! LOVE LOVE LOVE all of the work you have done in LK's classes. I haven't been able to do much lately but I am still "taking" the classes and saving them--hoping to be able to try some of the techniques soon. She is so prolific with photographical art ideas. LOVE YOUR STUFF!