Thursday, September 10, 2009

What I Did on My Journaling Retreat

The journaling retreat in August was so much fun, I did some seriously ugly stuff to start off with, because it had been so long since I had gotten out the journaling supplies. I knew I had to just start "gluing s*** down" (this was one of our catch-phrases for the weekend) and not obsess about what I was doing. I would be happy to share those pages, but I did them in a really large journal, too large to scan. I actually ended up liking some of them, I had to just keep messing with them until there was something there.
I was more in a groove on Friday, our first day of journaling, Rose brought many copies of a magazine none of us had seen, an exclusive for American Express PLATINUM members, which had gorgeous layouts and ads. I found one with an article about a production of Madame Butterfly. I loved the bright colors and unusual set designs, and rearranged them with other bits from my own collage fodder.
These little guys just appeared toward the end of the retreat. I think I was sufficiently loosened up by then. I had a lot of fun doodling. I really admire the doodling Catherine does in her journals, and I was inspired to do some of my own. Catherine was the instigator of the journaling retreat, and a good friend from ArtFest. She doesn't have a blog, unfortunately. She would rather just sit and journal!
We are going to have another retreat in November. I can hardly wait! I am meeting one of the journalers this afternoon, and will work on some of these pages some more. Sad to say, I haven't done much since we got back from the retreat.

4 comments:

Binky said...

I really really love these last two. Makes me wish I could fit journaling into my life.

celeste said...

love your pages...
thanks for the meet up...I look forward to more.

Paula McNamee said...

Love your people in the city and Madamee Butterfly pages. Doodling is great fun and a great form of expression.

Jill Holmes said...

Love the doodle people!