Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Mother, Helen Louise Thompson

My mother passed away on August 4, 2009. When I went to Portland over the Fourth of July weekend, I knew it was getting close, and the family, my siblings and I, descended on Portland to figure out a plan to help my mom and my dad transition through this time. I spent a lot of July in Portland, and hours on the phone with my sister and brothers.

Even though we all knew that mom was probably not going to make it through the year, none of us expected it to come so fast. Mom told us that she was ready--her vision was almost completely gone, and her body kept her from doing even the simplest things for her self. That was the hardest for her.

She told us, but none of us knew it would come so fast. I am glad for her, that she didn't linger or suffer, but losing our mom is the hardest thing I have ever experienced. I feel like I didn't adequately tell her goodbye, or how much I loved her. I hope that she knows, I think that she does.

The photo is from the memorial pamphlet we made. She is fishing in the high meadows of her Uncle Bert's ranch in the Rockies in Colorado. We spent part of every summer there in the 50's and early 60's with her sisters and brother and my cousins and our grandparents. I hope that she is having good times like that now in Heaven.

I love you, Mom!

(I don't know why blogger highlighted the first few lines of text, I can't seem to make it go away)

4 comments:

Jill Holmes said...

Gwen, I am so sorry for your loss. I love the fishing photo. She must have been a lively and inspirational person to have been around. My husband just lost a woman who was his second mother a couple of days ago. It is a sad but bitter sweet experience. She knew almost no one and appeared very distressed most of the time over the last several months. She, too, is having a great time in Heaven right now!

Leau said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I came over to tell you that you won my give away and was so surprised because my mother's name was Helen Louise! The Universe knows what it's doing, nothing random here! Send me any picture you want and I'll use it for the art. That one of your mum would make a great one! my heart to your heart...smooches

Binky said...

Losing a parent is indeed one of the toughest things you will ever experience.
Your mom knows how much you love and miss her. She knows because of the years you spent loving her, not just the last moments.
I am wishing you much strength and the ability to let your self doubts go and focus on the wonderful life your mom had and the wonderful life you had together.

LK said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure you mom knows how you feel; don't put yourself through that doubt and add to your heartache. Your mom knows you loved her. Moms know and trust. xo