Sunday, July 5, 2009

More from the travel journal

This is one side of the calendar page I made for my travel journal. I got this idea from my friend Paula, who always puts a calendar page in her travel journals. I made the page in advance, and then added a few words about each day, and some bit of ephemera collected that day. I really liked doing it, and it will be a regular feature of my travel journals from now on!
This is another sketch I made sitting in the Plaza in Santa Fe. I drew the sketch and then painted it later. I realized as I was scanning it that the tree looks like it might be dead, it was actually all leafed out, but I am not that proficient with watercolor, and couldn't figure out how to add the leaves without blocking out the buildings! You can see my sketch lines for leaves in the background!

I really loved the Peerless Watercolors for traveling. I can thank my friend, Paula, for that suggestion, also!

5 comments:

Paula McNamee said...

I really like your take on the travel calendar to chronicle your time in New Mexico- the use of local color stripes (one for each day), your mini Pogo printed photos and notes.

celeste said...

love, love...cannot wait to see this in person.

HeartFire said...

Gwen,
I loved seeing your travel journal & hearing about your great trip... I like your sketches, very nice. I agree with Paula, I like the idea of a "calendar" page to summarize the trip, I may try it too.

me again said...

I am so so so using this idea too! It's terrific :-)
==Lennie==

Leau said...

I even recognize that exact tree in the plaza! Great job and the journal looks fascinating. Thanks for stopping by!