Thursday, June 25, 2009

Land of Enchantment, indeed!

We came home from Santa Fe on Monday, to mid-70's to 60's weather after a week of 80's and 90's, and I am tempted to turn on the heat in our apartment! I loved the weather in Santa Fe and Taos. I never did get completely acclimated to the altitude, but I loved the weather! It was hot sometimes, but there always seemed to be a breeze coming, and sitting under trees in the Plaza would cool us right off.

I had a lot of fun with the watercolors I brought. The above sketch from my travel journal was made after we got caught (in the car, luckily) in a torrential downpour. I loved how the adobe still glowed even in the rain and with dark skys.
We went to Taos overnight, and tried to cram way too much into the short time we were there. I did this page of two memorable things we did. We visited the Taos pueblo and also the Mabel Dodge Luhan house. I found both to be incredible, though in very different ways.

I bought a Polaroid printer called a POGO the day before we left, and was able to print out wallet sized photos with adhesive backing, which made journaling really fun! I love my POGO, and think I will find many uses for it, beyond journaling.

The trip was fabulous, and I will be writing more about it over the next few days, so check back!

5 comments:

Tara Ross Studios said...

Your watercolor is stunning! Can't wait to see more!

Gwen said...

Thanks, Tara!

celeste said...

love, love!
so excited to see more hear, and in person one day. after the week we're in bend, let's meet.

Paula McNamee said...

Your watercolor is wonderful- love the colors, landscape and adobe buildings. The little photos make great journaling pages, too. It sounds like you had a great vacation. Can't wait to hear & see more.

Fran Meneley said...

Hi Gwen - Oh what wonderful posts on New Mexico. It really is the land of enchantment and you've captured it very well here. So glad you made it to Mabel's house, it's so special. I'll be heading down there next Saturday! Did you find the the chocolate shop in Santa Fe? Did you get a green chile fix? Wonderful post, journal and watercolors! xo fran