Saturday, April 18, 2009

Beautiful Paper

Last year at ArtFest, my friend Catherine and I both took classes from Anne Bagby. Catherine took a stamp carving class, and I took the class called Beautiful Paper. I blogged about my class here and about making collages with the paper here.
A couple of weeks ago, Catherine spent the night with us after this year's ArtFest, and we played with some of the incredible stamps she has made over the last year. She has about 20 4x6 and 6x6 inch stamps now. They are all very beautiful, and we had a great time layering them on unwaxed deli paper.

This paper is very strong, and also translucent, making it excellent to use in collage.

This one is a single stamp used over and over, because I loved the stamp. I glazed over it with a reddish glaze, which brought out the design even more.
This one has several stamps on it in different colors, the glazing (with red again) made some of the stamps ghostly, because they were red, also.



I really love this cat stamp! I almost ruined it with a blackish glaze, this is a close-up. The page below is a section of one of my favorite papers. It was a great day, and confirmed for me that I love creating my own paper. I recently bought some carving tools, and an excellent DVD of Anne's technique from here.
Look for my own hand carved stamps, coming soon!










4 comments:

m i c h e l l e said...

What??? These pages are absolutely amazing Gwen!!! I LOVE them!!! Great work by both you and Catherine!

PS...I love your banner!

Gwen said...

Thank you, Michelle!

Paula McNamee said...

Wow- your papers are great. Love the colors and the cat.

Fran Meneley said...

HI Gwen - these papers are really beautiful - what a fun way to play with stamps and you've really made some fantastic paper. It will be interesting to see how you can use them now - or just gaze at their beauty. Hope you are continuing to heal and get back to your massage work. xo fran