Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sketching and doodling...

From time to time I get the urge to draw, or sketch, and I carry a sketching journal with me. While we were at the family reunion in August, I captured a couple of my nephews during the family story-telling time. This is Jim, he is about 20. He is extremely well-spoken and thoughtful, as the pose might indicate.
This is Michael, the 12 year old son of my nephew, Todd. He was so still while I was sketching him that I thought for sure he was posing for me, but he told me later that he didn't know I was drawing him! I used caran d'ache and a water pen to add color to these.
Quick sketches of our wonderful dog, Nell, during naps. I was really glad that I could do these, as she was not still for very long...
Finally a page of doodles. I loved drawing freely from my imagination in Theo Ellsworth's class at ArtFest earlier this year, but haven't let myself do it much since. This was fun. I blocked off some journaling which included too many names.

I have been finding a lot of sketching on other people's blogs lately, and thought I would share some of my recent work. I would like to draw every day, it isn't that hard, and I enjoy it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the portrait sketches were reasonable likenesses, I want to do more sketches of people. I love the faces that Danny Gregory draws.

2 comments:

Miss J said...

WOW Gwen! These are awesome! I'm so glad you shared these!

m i c h e l l e said...

Fabulous illustrations and doodling! I registered for Theo's class at ArtFest 2009! I'm really looking forward to that!!!