Thursday, September 11, 2008

remembering

No art today, I am remembering that seven years ago the sky was as blue as it is today, and that I kept thinking all day, "how can it be so beautiful when such a terrible thing has happened?"

I guess that defines heartbreakingly beautiful. In my journal today I wrote seven years ago the world changed. The world changes every day, of course, but everyone who was alive and old enough to be aware knows that things really did change that day.

My heart is with all of the people who died that day, and their families. Also with the families of all the soldiers and civilians who have died since then in the "war on terror". Yesterday my son told me that one of the kids who was a neighbor of ours years ago was killed last week in Afghanistan. He was a Marine. My heart is especially with his mother and the rest of his family.

It is time to change in a big way. October 4 is the last day to register to vote in Washington state in time for this year's presidential election. If you aren't registered, or you know someone who isn't, DO IT!!

peace to all of us,

3 comments:

m i c h e l l e said...

Very thoughtful post. Thank you.

celeste said...

i received three circle journals today! yippee. i'm heading to the messy table to work on them tonight and will bring them tomorrow to art day,...hope to see you there!

celeste said...

gwen...it's time for a blog update...perhaps some pages from the circle journals, or your austin book?

and i tagged you for a meme...check out my blog for details.