Saturday, August 2, 2008

Hello...hello...is anyone still out there??

Gadzooks! It has been 3 months since I posted here! I read several blogs daily, but I can't seem to follow through with my own blog for very long. And, of course, I have messed up on how to upload photos, so these are out of order.

We moved in May, just across the parking lot in the same complex, to a first floor apartment, which opens out on a very nice grassy courtyard, with trees and flowering shrubs, and a lovely flower garden next door.

The apartment is slightly larger than our other one, it is still two bedrooms, but the bedrooms are larger, and somehow even the living room and dining room are more spacious. We love the apartment. We are sharing the larger bedroom as our studio space, and it is a luxury to have this much space.
The above is one of my favorite pages in the journal I created for a 7 person "circle journal" round robin I am in. More about that later, when I get to the rest of the pictures...
This is my husband, Tom, and our new dog, Nell. She is a shiba inu, a Japanese breed, who we acquired shortly after moving into our (ground floor) apartment. We didn't realize how much we needed a dog until we got her. She is very sweet and smart and loving.

We are the typical empty-nesters with a dog, completely in love and she has us wrapped around her...little paw. We discuss potty habits and sleeping schedules just like we used to discuss the same topics about our kids.
She weighs about 15 pounds and is two years old. Loves walking and will play fetch until she drops!

So. This is the cover of my graffiti book. I made it with hot press watercolor paper, and used some type of illustration board for the cover. It is 9 x 9 inches, and I had it bound at Kinko's. Celeste of http://www.stonesoupart.blogspot.com started this group. We have all had a little trouble getting the whole thing rolling, I now have Celeste's book and will be working in it soon.
My book went to Michelle of http://www.michellegeller.typepad.com, who sent it along to Andrea at http://www.shopgirl.typepad.com. I don't have the blog addresses of the rest of the players, but will add them as I get their books.
The sign in page, and intro to the book. I love the rough quality of graffiti and all that that implies for me, peeling paint, letters, rust, randomness.
Another page,
and another.
The other half of the spread with the circles. I love the scribbly lines of this, and the way that the circles came out.

On Monday, we are leaving for 8 days away, we are meeting good friends in Long Beach, WA for four days, and then going to the Fort Casey Inn on Whidbey Island for a family reunion. I am looking forward to all of it. I love the ocean, I love the people we will be with, and I am making a little journal just for the week. More about that when I get back!

Oh, check out the posts about Fran's week in Taos on http://www.franmeneley.typepad.com. There are beautiful photographs, and incredible art from a workshop with Sas Colby.

1 comment:

Miss J said...

Hi Gwen! So great to see a new post on your blog. Mine blog is suffering too. I'm thinking of it as the blog taking a summer vacation! Congrats on your sweet new doggie! She's adorable. We have to get together for a walk soon. Your artwork looks great, as always. I'm glad you are keeping busy and enjoying your new studio space. Happy Summer!
Julia