Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Take It Further Challenge (TIF)

To refresh your memory, I am doing the Take it Further challenge from Sharonb's website, http://www.inaminuteago.wordpress.com/. The January concept challenge is to somehow illustrate a person or quality you admire. I am working on the concept of bravery which is the quality I admire in young artists who continue on with their dreams despite the inner critic and other inner (and outer) voices who may say they are crazy or impractical.

Below is a sketch of the collage I am working on to illustrate this concept. I envisioned a person on a tightrope, bravely continuing on toward their dreams, with the "critics" below them and the mountain of a LARGER life before them as their goal.

I found the drawing to be way too literal, but it gave me an idea of how to begin the collage, so here it is.
My next step was to cover the paper with scrap paper, just a background to begin on.
Below is the collage with a couple of layers of thin paint added, and partially rubbed off. I have laid on some of the foreground collage pieces, as well.
There will be more to come, and I am very happy with how it is developing.

I have 3 more page spreads to go in my visual journal. I will finish it this week, and I am using my husband's discarded 2007 calendar for my next one. The pages are larger (yeah!) and I will probably only do one page a day, rather than a spread--who knows?

I am so glad that I started a visual journal, and am looking forward to starting another one!

3 comments:

Barbara Hagerty said...

This is going to be great! I love your concept and am so happy that you're doing a collage! Can't wait to see your next step!

girl_gone_thread_wild said...

Your art is just wonderful Gwen, I'm thrilled you are joining in on the pink artist community art doll. :) I'm adding your name to our list and can't wait to see Ur contribution. Check back later today on my blog to see the squares as they come in.... I got the first 3 pkgs yesterday. How thrilling! xo, Monica

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I love it!! Yes, artists are crazy and impractical - I fought this concept for 60 years in myself, as my parents disapproved of my artistic "bent" - but now that I accept the "crazy" with the pictures in my head, I like it, and wouldn't have it any other way. Good Job with your art - keep going!! My children also have to admit that my self employment with design and writing kept them well fed, clothed, sheltered, and educated for a lot of years.