Saturday, January 12, 2008

Moving right along...

I have been having a lot of fun working in my visual journal. I am really enamored with the look of black ink on bright backgrounds. This page is about as random as they get, but I like the look of the tree stamp and the penny stamp that my husband found for me at a thrift store (along the right edge). The oblong stamp is supposed to be used horizontally as a braided rug, but DH got that one for me, also, and thought it would make a good form for poplar trees! I love it. Have I mentioned how good my hubby is at finding things for me in thrift shops??

The next page uses some artwork from the Sunday editorial page in November, illustrating an article about impeachment for the prez and v.p. I am totally in favor, and added a little more to the illustration.
Another thing making me happy these days, is beautiful scrapbook paper, of which I have collected LOTS. I have been going through my stash and using it. I love the colors in these papers, and feel like it isn't really my work, because all of the design and color coordination was done by the paper designer. But, I am in love with the combination of purple and orange, and couldn't resist using all of the combinations. I also dug out some stamps I hadn't used, and worked them in, as well.
Another random page, the two sides don't go together at all, but I kind of like each of them, the one on the right a little more.
More scrapbook paper love. I need to tear into my "good stuff" and not hoard it, so expect to see more scrapbook combinations here. I am such a geek, it makes me feel so good to just play with the paper, not to mention the stamps.

Today I am going to start in on the Take it Further challenge (TIF from here on out), and start constucting. I am going to do a layered collage, somewhat along the lines of the collages we did in Anahata's Symbolic Icons at ArtFest last year. I haven't used that technique since that class, and I loved it so much. I think that the process will work very well for me to illustrate the concept of bravery, the concept that I admire...

5 comments:

Michele said...

Oh, my, Gwen, you have been having fun and creating vivid and interesting pages! I'm jealous. I have been working on my ATCs for the ArtFest book hosted by Bee Shay and my 4 x 4 pages for the ArtFest fatbook. I love the creating the proto-type and hate the production work required to make all the swaps. I haven't even THOUGHT about trades for ArtFest....off to California for the birth of my newest grandchild, a boy this time. Keep having fun and I'll live my artistic life through you for a while!
Bear hugs,
Michele

Miss J said...

Great work Gwen! Your visual journals are so beautiful, and fun and loose. I love how you are using that braided rug stamp. Can't wait to see more!

celeste said...

good for you.
i'm trying to use more of my "special" papers too. (um, somehow there always seems to be more, non?)
and i *heart* that oval rug stamp...can you bring that with you and share sometime?
c

eb said...

your journal pages are wonderful - I love seeing all the various techniques that you are exploring - need to do a packing tape transfer again... thanks for the candy...

xox - eb.

Barbara Hagerty said...

I love your journaling and the way you have used your papers! I'm an avid art journaler and have about 5ongoing at present. Yours are superb! Great collages!