Monday, January 28, 2008

January TIF challenge, complete

I finished my collage for this month's challenge last night. I am happy with it, but also feel that it is more representational than I had intended. However, it is true to the idea I had, which was to portray the admiration I feel for several young artists who bravely continue on in pursuit of their dreams, despite the challenges everyone feels. The challenges are there, but one has to stay focussed on the goal, and not keep looking down.

I used paper, acrylic paint, gel medium, caran d'ache, clip art and rubber stamping.


Below is a close-up of the artist and her goal.
I found this project to be a wonderful challenge, I enjoyed it very much, and I have really enjoyed seeing the other participant's interpretations. My husband and I had several discussions of the theme, and he was very helpful. When I said that I planned to have the artist be a tight-rope walker, he found the following quote in an old Parabola magazine. I think that it adds a lot to the symbolism and the meaning of my piece.

"The whole process is part of the hero's journey: the false move is nonetheless a crucial bend along the path. To elaborate on von Franz's metaphor, in life's circus, the bumbling clown often precedes the death-defying high-wire act."

One other quote I found helpful, also found by my husband from the book Tracking the Gods: The Place of Myth in Modern Life by James Hollis:

"...the paradox Nietzsche described when he said we are both the abyss and the tightrope
across the abyss. We are the open emptiness, to be filled by courage and by choice, and
we are the fragile thread by which to traverse the abysmal terrors."


16 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a lovely piece and a terrific interpretation of your theme. The tight rope is perfect.

kay susan said...

Both thoughtful and thought provoking. Nice work!

celeste said...

i love the quotations and your manifestation of your vision.

kelly rae said...

gwen, love it. love the theme and what you have done with it. and the tight rope is exactly what it's like, isn't it? and i also really appreciate that you and your husband discussed it (how cute!) and that he found these perfect quotes for the project. you are such a gem.

Debbi Baker said...

Hi Gwen - thanks so much for checking out my TIF post as it is has helped me find your blog! I've just had a lovely read and I think your TIF piece is terrific! When I first saw it I thought it was going to be about balance (as mine was) but bravery is even better! Loved reading about your thoughts behind the piece and the quotes too. PS Love your journal pages too.

jacqui said...

I love this piece, it is indeed balanced and inspired.

As Kelley Rae says I am full of admiration for your husband for taking an interest. Mine just gets that look on his face as soon as I mention an internet project

Miss J said...

Great work Gwen! I love how you carried out your idea, and that it sparked discussion between you and your hubby.I love that art does that for people. Nice work!3

Jacquelines blog said...

Hi Gwen, I think you're piece is really great. I love the way you approached it. Thanks for visiting my blog, so I was able to find yours.

Kay said...

Fascinating quotations; how perfect! And I couldn't agree more how wonderful it is that you and your husband discussed this.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Your piece is beautiful and such a wonderful interpretation of the "admiration" theme. I know I'll come back to visit it again.

Carinemarie said...

Gwen,
Thanks for your comment on my blog.
I also love yours.
You have very good ideas.

http://textilesarts.blogspot.com

juanita sim said...

Congratulations on your piece, it's a gem and really speaks beautifully about having the courage of your convictions despite the roar of the crowd. 'We are the abyss and the tightrope across it' is such a great quote. Thanks for sharing it.

Fran├žoise said...

Lovely collage, and lovely blog!

Barbara said...

This is a beautiful piece. I also thought that it was great your husband made a contribution to your creative process. I enjoyed looking at your blog and reading your profile. I admire you for pursuing your passions in life. I look forward to seeing your other creations throughout the year.

Luci F said...

This is just delightful. I love the idea and the quotes too. Very inspiring.
Roll on February.

Barbara Hagerty said...

Beautiful collage! I love your process and how you develop your work philosophically as well as artistically. . .now that I think of it, developing a piece of artwork is a philosophical work in and of itself! Bravo! This is a wonderful piece!