Sunday, November 11, 2007

How I spent my weekend...

Saturday morning at Fort Worden, I had about 25 minutes before I had to begin a marathon work day, and decided to take a short walk with my camera. It was a gorgeous day, clear and not a bit of wind. I walked up a rather steep hill to a wooded area with wonderful tree skeletons, madrona trees, leave-less, and a little grey, but such beautiful structure.

I really love trees in all their manifestations, bare, in bud, in full leaf, the colors of fall. I have been at Fort Worden in all seasons, and have many photographs of trees there, and these were very beautiful to me.

This path was begging me to follow, but work was calling.

This was the view from the top of the hill I had climbed. I love how the rays of sun seem to be captured. I feel so at peace at the Fort, it is a magical place.

The weekend was exhausting, but also fun. The three of us did MANY massages, and our pay was good, but by the end of Saturday, a thirteen hour day, we were so tired that we barely made it to our beds before we collapsed! We decided that since we are all pushing 60, that this would be our last year doing marathon massage.

It was a bittersweet decision, this was our third year and we had finally gotten all of the kinks out, everything ran very smoothly, and we were completely booked for the time we were there. We had a lot of fun together, and some very meaningful discussions about LIFE, but it was a mutual decision to quit. Plans have already been made for other getaways without work!

It may go without saying that I had no time or energy for working on the visual journal. I missed it, but will start up again tomorrow.

The final photo is a self-portrait!

3 comments:

Miss J said...

Hi Gwen

I'm really enjoying your blog! Your visual journal pages are so inspiring to me. Can't wait to see more. I'm glad you had a good weekend..your pictures are great!

liz elayne said...

oh i love this peek into fort worden this morning...beautiful. thise madrona trees are incredible!

it is so good that you are going to continue getaways with these women without the work...very cool! and it sounds like you had a time that was soul-renewing...a very good thing!

ludwiglk said...

three long days of massages! I'd have fallen asleep in the middle of day 2! I love Ft. Worden. Your art journal pages are wonderufl- love all the color and texture.