Monday, July 30, 2007

After a long absence

I have not been here in a long time, I have been in a slump of some sort, I don't do much of anything except go to the appointments I have scheduled. I haven't been doing art, but I have been doing a lot of reading.

I read the last Harry Potter, which I loved, and was sorry to have end. What an achievement! The world could certainly do with a few heros who are able to stand up for what is good over power and evil...

Speaking of power and evil, my husband and I just watched the documentary about the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church called "Deliver Us From Evil". It made me so angry and sad that I have a terrible headache, and I almost never get headaches.

When the breadth of the scandal began to be revealed, and there was nothing but cover up by the church and the bishops, it was the final blow for my dwindling connection to the Catholic church. This film showed the only priest I have ever heard or read about who actually has apologized to victims. Father Tom Doyle is a victim advocate, and a canon lawyer.

At one point in the film he said that the only place in the bible that Jesus gets angry is in the church. And I believe that Jesus would be very angry in the Catholic church today.

I have too much of governments that run by their own perceived reality, contrary to all evidence to the contrary and I am not going to be a part of a church which is doing the same thing, especially to the most vulnerable. A hierarchy that believes that they are a law to themselves.

I could go on and on, I am so angry and feel so betrayed. If you have also been scandalized by the church, watch this documentary. There is a lot of sadness, but some hopeful things too.

1 comment:

Debbi Baker said...

Hi Gwen - I am hoping you are the artist Gwen Delmore that made the amazing piece of artwork that I have just seen on Flickr (link below). If you are, I just wanted to say that it is absolutely stunning - I can't stop looking at it. I had to google my way to you to let you know! I hope you create lots more art as I have bookmarked your blog so I don't miss out on seeing more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anahata/455974561/