Thursday, April 12, 2007

What I made at ArtFest

I am a little shy about doing this, but here are the things that I made while at ArtFest. I guess that I am going to have to get over being "shy", because having a blog in itself kind of hangs you out there for anyone to see. I have always felt like I was a bit of a closet exhibitionist... Anyway, the first photo is of the altered photo imagery collage I made in Karen Michel's class on Friday. I love it, and I loved her class. I learned a lot about different ways of manipulating photos, and it is exciting because I still haven't been brave enough to learn how to use photoshop. My next learning curve will be to figure that out. I love the hand altered photos, though and will still continue to do that.This is one of the pieces I made in Anahata Katkin's personal icons class. This was the class where we were encouraged to work fast and intuitively, and I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this class. I tend to overthink things, and it actually stops me from even beginning lots of times. I loved having to work fast and not really having any idea of what we would end up with. I am very happy with this piece.This the first piece I made in Anahata's class. This one amazed me, the theme that came out as I was working blew me away. It is a bit personal, and not as beautiful as the Asian woman, I loved being able to write on the pieces as a graphic element, I found it very powerful to add words that had meaning to me, but in such a way that the viewer can't really read them without really studying the piece. I am such a word person, this was like explaining the piece, but only to myself.

I also took a wonderful class from LK Ludwig, on Sketchbook as Personal Design Source. I learned many wonderful things in that class, but as LK said, it was a process class, not a product class, so I don't have anything to "show" for it, but it was a wonderful class and I think that LK is a fabulous and generous teacher.

So, I am done documenting ArtFest. I am on to new projects, and I need to DO MY TAXES!!! I hate doing them, but having them hanging over my head keeps me from doing anything creative, so I had better get to it.

3 comments:

kelly rae said...

the piece you made in anahata's class was my favorite thing period that came out of that class on show and tell nite! i don't think i realized that was you that created that piece. gwen, it's FANTASTIC! how cow!

Judy Wise said...

I had to laugh about your comment on being an exhibitionist. Doesn't it feel weird? That you don't know who is reading it. I go through periods of feeling exposed but there is also the wonderful connection and that is wonderful. I am so glad you've joined us in blogland. Your work is so wonderful and sharing it inspires others.

Anonymous said...

Gwen, the pieces that you made at Artfest are wonderful. I hope to go next year. My favorite is of the asian woman. thank you for inviting me to view your blog!
Kim Rae Nugent